The statements and recommendations were edited and finally agreed at the concluding plenary session. Consensus was defined as support by 70% or more of the experts. The recommendations resulting from this rigorous process are reported in the manuscript.
Commentaries on statements were written by the chairmen of individual workshops based on the data presented by the person assigned to elaborate the question; they include the conclusion of discussions held at the meeting. Coauthors were involved in the final editing of the commentaries. The previous strong recommendations for
eradication, such as in patients with peptic ulcer disease,  has been reconfirmed.
The following participants disclosed no financial relationship relevant to this publication: LP Andersen, A Axon, F Bazzoli, A Burette, L Coelho, KM Fock, G Gasbarrini, G Gensini, J Gisbert, KL Goh, R Hunt, VA Isakov, L Kupcinskas, S Koletzko, EJ Kuipers, S Ladas, M Leja, JC Machado, Y Niv, A Ristimäki, T Rokkas, R Rugge, R Stockbrügger, M Vieth. The following participants disclosed a financial relationship: J Atherton: is a consultant for Axcan Pharma, Danone and Clinova Ltd X. Calvet:has participated in advisory boards of AstraZeneca, has served as speaker for AstraZeneca and Almirall-Prodesfarma and has received research support from AstraZeneca and Janssen-Cilag. F Chan: consultant: Pfizer, speaker's honoraria: AstraZeneca, Pfizer, Takeda, Steering Committee/Adjudication: Pfizer. Commitee member for the CONDOR study. JC Delchier: is consultant for Aptalis Pharma in relation with the treatment of H pylori
with Pylera. F Di Mario: none declared. E El-Omar: none declared. W Fischbach: research grant: Deutsche Krebshilfe, speaker's honoraria: Abbott, Aptalis, Falk, Merck Serono, Norgine, Novartis, Nycomed, Pfizer, Roche, Sanofi-Aventis, Shire. Consultant: Fresenius Biotech, Norgine, Pfizer, Vifor Pharma. DY Graham: is an unpaid consultant for Novartis in relation to vaccine development for treatment or prevention of H pylori
infection. He is also a paid consultant for Otsuka Pharmaceuticals regarding diagnostic testing and until recently has received royalties from Baylor College of Medicine on patients covering materials related to [13C]urea breath test. P Hungin: has received research funding, travel and speakers fee from Reckitt Benckiser for upper gastrointestinal problems. M Kist: research support by Nycomed Deutschland GmbH, Honorary: Aptalis. Scientific Advisory Board: Aptalis. A Lanas: is advisor to AstraZeneca, Pfizer and Bayer. P Malfertheiner: speaker's fee: Aptalis, Falk Foundation, Abbott, AstraZeneca. Research grant: Novartis. K McColl: received consultancy fees from Reckitt Benckiser. V Mahachai: is currently obtaining grant support from Daiichi Sankyu, Japan. F Megraud: received research grants and served as consultant for Aptalis Pharma, Danone Research, and speaker for Aptalis Pharma, AstraZeneca. C O'Morain: has received research grants from Abbott and MSD and served on advisory boards of Abbott, Aptalis, Falk Pharma, MSD and Shire. A Pilotto: none declared. K Sugano: research grants from Astellas, AstraZeneca, Eisai and Takeda, fees for advisory board from Takeda and AstraZenecaand a lecture fee from Takeda. D Vaira: none declared. N Vakil: is concultant for AstraZeneca, Takeda, Otsuka, Ironwood, Orexo. Stock options: Meridian Diagnostics, Orexo.
P Lehours, A O'Connor, M Selgrad. We acknowledge the editorial assistance of Mrs. D. Deutschländer.
This study was supported by an unrestricted grant: Menarini Foundation (Firenze, Italy).
Provenance and peer review
Not commissioned; externally peer reviewed.
1. Malfertheiner P, Megraud F, O'Morain C, et al. Current European concepts in the management of helicobacter pylori infection–the Maastricht consensus report. The European helicobacter pylori study group (EHPSG). Eur J Gastroenterol Hepatol 1997;9:1–2.
2. Malfertheiner P, Megraud F, O'Morain C, et al. Current concepts in the management of Helicobacter pylori infection–the Maastricht 2-2000 Consensus Report. Aliment Pharmacol Ther 2002;16:167–80.
3. Malfertheiner P, Megraud F, O'Morain C, et al. Current concepts in the management of Helicobacter pylori infection: the Maastricht III Consensus Report. Gut 2007;56:772–81.
4. Howden CW, Hunt RH. Guidelines for the management of Helicobacter pylori infection. Ad Hoc Committee on practice Parameters of the American College of gastroenterology. Am J Gastroenterol 1998;93:2330–8.
5. Vaira D, Malfertheiner P, Megraud F, et al. Diagnosis of Helicobacter pylori infection with a new non-invasive antigen-based assay. HpSA European study group. Lancet 1999;354:30–3.
6. Chiba N, Van Zanten SJ, Sinclair P, et al. Treating Helicobacter pylori infection in primary care patients with uninvestigated dyspepsia: the Canadian adult dyspepsia empiric treatment-Helicobacter pylori positive (CADET-Hp) randomised controlled trial. BMJ 2002;324:1012–16.
7. Moayyedi P, Axon AT. The usefulness of the likelihood ratio in the diagnosis of dyspepsia and gastroesophageal reflux disease. Am J Gastroenterol 1999;94:3122–5.
8. Ikenberry SO, Harrison ME, Lichtenstein D, et al. The role of endoscopy in dyspepsia. Gastrointest Endosc 2007;66:1071–5.
9. Niv Y, Niv G, Koren R. 13C-urea breath test for diagnosis of Helicobacter pylori infection in the elderly. Dig Dis Sci 2004;49:1840–4.
10. Moayyedi P, Deeks J, Talley NJ, et al. An update of the Cochrane systematic review of Helicobacter pylori eradication therapy in nonulcer dyspepsia: resolving the discrepancy between systematic reviews. Am J Gastroenterol 2003;98:2621–6.
11. Harvey RF, Lane JA, Nair P, et al. Clinical trial: prolonged beneficial effect of Helicobacter pylori eradication on dyspepsia consultations - the Bristol Helicobacter Project. Aliment Pharmacol Ther 2010;32:394–400.
12. Maconi G, Sainaghi M, Molteni M, et al. Predictors of long-term outcome of functional dyspepsia and duodenal ulcer after successful Helicobacter pylori eradication–a 7-year follow-up study. Eur J Gastroenterol Hepatol 2009;21:387–93.
13. Moayyedi P. The health economics of Helicobacter pylori infection. Best Pract Res Clin Gastroenterol 2007;21:347–61.
14. Gwee KA, Teng L, Wong RK, et al. The response of Asian patients with functional dyspepsia to eradication of Helicobacter pylori infection. Eur J Gastroenterol Hepatol 2009;21:417–24.
15. Jin X, Li YM. Systematic review and meta-analysis from Chinese literature: the association between Helicobacter pylori eradication and improvement of functional dyspepsia. Helicobacter 2007;12:541–6.
16. El-Omar EM, Oien K, El-Nujumi A, et al. Helicobacter pylori infection and chronic gastric acid hyposecretion. Gastroenterology 1997;113:15–24.
17. De Vries AC, van Grieken NC, Looman CW, et al. Gastric cancer risk in patients with premalignant gastric lesions: a nationwide cohort study in the Netherlands. Gastroenterology 2008;134:945–52.
18. Cullen D, Hawkey G, Greenwood D, et al. H. pylori and gastroesophageal reflux disease: a community-based study. Helicobacter 2008;13:352–60.
19. O'Connor HJ. Review article: helicobacter pylori and gastro-oesophageal reflux disease-clinical implications and management. Aliment Pharmacol Ther 1999;13:117–27.
20. Rokkas T, Pistiolas D, Sechopoulos P, et al. Relationship between Helicobacter pylori infection and esophageal neoplasia: a meta-analysis. Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol 2007;5:1413–17, 1417.
21. Yaghoobi M, Farrokhyar F, Yuan Y, et al. Is there an increased risk of GERD after Helicobacter pylori eradication?: a meta-analysis. Am J Gastroenterol 2010;105:1007–13.
22. Moayyedi P, Bardhan C, Young L, et al. Helicobacter pylori eradication does not exacerbate reflux symptoms in gastroesophageal reflux disease. Gastroenterology 2001;121:1120–6.
23. Qian B, Shijie M, Shang L, et al. Effect of H. pylori eradication on gastroesophageal reflux disease. Helicobacter 2011;16:255–65.
24. Klinkenberg-Knol EC, Nelis F, Dent J, et al. Long-term omeprazole treatment in resistant gastroesophageal reflux disease: efficacy, safetyand influence on gastric mucosa. Gastroenterology 2000;118:661–9.
25. Di Mario F, Ingegnoli A, Dal Bò N, et al. Early epigastric pain after PPI administration: exacerbation of Helicobacter pylori corpus gastritis? Helicobacter 2004;9:92–4.
26. Huang JQ, Sridhar S, Hunt RH. Role of Helicobacter pylori infection and non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs in peptic-ulcer disease: a meta-analysis. Lancet 2002;359:14–22.
27. Chan FK, Sung JJ, Chung SC, et al. Randomised trial of eradication of Helicobacter pylori before non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug therapy to prevent peptic ulcers. Lancet 1997;350:975–9.
28. Chan FK, To KF, Wu JC, et al. Eradication of Helicobacter pylori and risk of peptic ulcers in patients starting long-term treatment with non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs: a randomised trial. Lancet 2002;359:9–13.
29. de Leest HT, Steen KS, Lems WF, et al. Eradication of Helicobacter pylori does not reduce the incidence of gastroduodenal ulcers in patients on long-term NSAID treatment: double-blind, randomized, placebo-controlled trial. Helicobacter 2007;12:477–85.
30. Lai KC, Lau CS, Ip WY, et al. Effect of treatment of Helicobacter pylori on the prevention of gastroduodenal ulcers in patients receiving long-term NSAIDs: a double-blind, placebo-controlled trial. Aliment Pharmacol Ther 2003;17:799–805.
31. Hawkey CJ, Tulassay Z, Szczepanski L, et al. Randomised controlled trial of Helicobacter pylori eradication in patients on non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs: HELP NSAIDs study. Helicobacter Eradication for Lesion Prevention. Lancet 1998;352:1016–21.
32. Vergara M, Catalan M, Gisbert JP, et al. Meta-analysis: role of Helicobacter pylori eradication in the prevention of peptic ulcer in NSAID users. Aliment Pharmacol Ther 2005;21:1411–18.
33. Chan FK, Chung SC, Suen BY, et al. Preventing recurrent upper gastrointestinal bleeding in patients with Helicobacter pylori infection who are taking low-dose aspirin or naproxen. N Engl J Med 2001;344:967–73.
34. Lai KC, Lam SK, Chu KM, et al. Lansoprazole for the prevention of recurrences of ulcer complications from long-term low-dose aspirin use. N Engl J Med 2002;346:2033–8.
35. Chan F, Ching J, Suen B, et al. H. pylori eradication on the long-term incidence of recurrent ulcer bleeding in high-tisk aspirin users: a 10-year prospective cohort study (abstr). Gastroenterology 2011;140:S173–4. Search Google Scholar
36. Schenk BE, Kuipers EJ, Nelis GF, et al. Effect of Helicobacter pylori eradication on chronic gastritis during omeprazole therapy. Gut 2000;46:615–21.
37. Lundell L, Havu N, Miettinen P, et al. Changes of gastric mucosal architecture during long-term omeprazole therapy: results of a randomized clinical trial. Aliment Pharmacol Ther 2006;23:639–47.
38. Moayyedi P, Wason C, Peacock R, et al. Changing patterns of Helicobacter pylori gastritis in long-standing acid suppression. Helicobacter 2000;5:206–14.
39. Kuipers EJ, Lundell L, Klinkenberg-Knol EC, et al. Atrophic gastritis and Helicobacter pylori infection in patients with reflux esophagitis treated with omeprazole or fundoplication. N Engl J Med 1996;334:1018–22.
40. Hagiwara T, Mukaisho K, Nakayama T, et al. Long-term proton pump inhibitor administration worsens atrophic corpus gastritis and promotes adenocarcinoma development in Mongolian gerbils infected with Helicobacter pylori. Gut 2011;60:624–30.
41. Fox JG, Kuipers EJ. Long-term proton pump inhibitor administration, H pylori
and gastric cancer: lessons from the gerbil. Gut 2011;60:567–8.
42. Malfertheiner P, Sipponen P, Naumann M, et al. Helicobacter pylori eradication has the potential to prevent gastric cancer: a state-of-the-art critique. Am J Gastroenterol 2005;100:2100–15.
43. Correa P, Fontham ET, Bravo JC, et al. Chemoprevention of gastric dysplasia: randomized trial of antioxidant supplements and anti-helicobacter pylori therapy. J Natl Cancer Inst 2000;92:1881–8.
44. Leung WK, Lin SR, Ching JY, et al. Factors predicting progression of gastric intestinal metaplasia: results of a randomised trial on Helicobacter pylori eradication. Gut 2004;53:1244–9.
45. Wong BC, Lam SK, Wong WM, et al. Helicobacter pylori eradication to prevent gastric cancer in a high-risk region of China: a randomized controlled trial. JAMA 2004;291:187–94.
46. Wang J, Xu L, Shi R, et al. Gastric atrophy and intestinal metaplasia before and after Helicobacter pylori eradication: a meta-analysis. Digestion 2011;83:253–60.
47. Wotherspoon AC, Doglioni C, Diss TC, et al. Regression of primary low-grade B-cell gastric lymphoma of mucosa-associated lymphoid tissue type after eradication of Helicobacter pylori. Lancet 1993;342:575–7.
48. Chen LT, Lin JT, Tai JJ, et al. Long-term results of anti-Helicobacter pylori therapy in early-stage gastric high-grade transformed MALT lymphoma. J Natl Cancer Inst 2005;97:1345–53.
49. Stathis A, Chini C, Bertoni F, et al. Long-term outcome following Helicobacter pylori eradication in a retrospective study of 105 patients with localized gastric marginal zone B-cell lymphoma of MALT type. Ann Oncol 2009;20:1086–93.
50. Wundisch T, Thiede C, Morgner A, et al. Long-term follow-up of gastric MALTlymphoma after Helicobacter pylori eradication. J Clin Oncol 2005;23:8018–24.
51. Ruskone-Fourmestraux A, Fischbach W, Aleman BM, et al. EGILS consensus report. Gastric extranodal marginal zone B-cell lymphoma of MALT. Gut 2011;60:747–58.
52. Qu XH, Huang XL, Xiong P, et al. Does Helicobacter pylori infection play a role in iron deficiency anemia? A meta-analysis. World J Gastroenterol 2010;16:886–96.
53. Muhsen K, Cohen D. Helicobacter pylori infection and iron stores: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Helicobacter 2008;13:323–40.
54. Pellicano R, Franceschi F, Saracco G, et al. Helicobacters and extragastric diseases. Helicobacter 2009;14(Suppl 1):58–68.
55. Arnold DM, Bernotas A, Nazi I, et al. Platelet count response to H. pylori treatment in patients with immune thrombocytopenic purpura with and without H. pylori infection: a systematic review. Haematologica 2009;94:850–6.
56. George JN. Definition, diagnosis and treatment of immune thrombocytopenic purpura. Haematologica 2009;94:759–62. [FREE Full text]
57. Palm F, Urbanek C, Grau A. Infection, its treatment and the risk for stroke. Curr Vasc Pharmacol 2009;7:146–52.
58. Charlett A, Dobbs RJ, Dobbs SM, et al. Blood profile holds clues to role of infection in a premonitory state for idiopathic parkinsonism and of gastrointestinal infection in established disease. Gut Pathog 2009;1:20.
59. Kountouras J, Boziki M, Gavalas E, et al. Eradication of Helicobacter pylori may be beneficial in the management of Alzheimer's disease. J Neurol 2009;256:758–67.
60. Franceschi F, Navarese EP, Mollo R, et al. Helicobacter pylori and atherosclerosis. A review of the literature. Recenti Prog Med 2009;100:91–6.
61. Longo-Mbenza B. Helicobacter pylori and atherosclerosis: can current data be useful for clinical practice? Int J Cardiol 2009;135:e76–7.
62. Ayada K, Yokota K, Kobayashi K, et al. Chronic infections and atherosclerosis. Clin Rev Allergy Immunol 2009;37:44–8.
63. Franceschi F, Niccoli G, Ferrante G, et al. CagA antigen of Helicobacter pylori and coronary instability: insight from a clinico-pathological study and a meta-analysis of 4241 cases. Atherosclerosis 2009;202:535–42.
64. Chen Y, Blaser MJ. Inverse associations of Helicobacter pylori with asthma and allergy. Arch Intern Med 2007;167:821–7.
65. Fullerton D, Britton JR, Lewis SA, et al. Helicobacter pylori and lung function, asthma, atopy and allergic disease–a population-based cross-sectional study in adults. Int J Epidemiol 2009;38:419–26.
66. Ioannou GN, Weiss NS, Kearney DJ. Is Helicobacter pylori seropositivity related to body mass index in the United States? Aliment Pharmacol Ther 2005;21:765–72.
67. Lahner E, Annibale B, Delle FG. Systematic review: helicobacter pylori infection and impaired drug absorption. Aliment Pharmacol Ther 2009;29:379–86.
68. Bugdaci MS, Zuhur SS, Sokmen M, et al. The role of Helicobacter pylori in patients with hypothyroidism in whom could not be achieved normal thyrotropin levels despite treatment with high doses of thyroxine. Helicobacter 2011;16:124–30.
69. Pierantozzi M, Pietroiusti A, Brusa L, et al. Helicobacter pylori eradication and l-dopa absorption in patients with PD and motor fluctuations. Neurology 2006;66:1824–9.
70. Wroblewski L, Peek R, Wilson K. Helicobacter pylori and gastric cancer: factors that modulate disease risk. Clin Microbiol Rev 2010;4:713–39. Search Google Scholar
71. Basso D, Zambon CF, Letley DP, et al. Clinical relevance of H. pylori cagA and vacA gene polymorphisms. Gastroenterology 2008;135:91–9.
72. Schmidt H, Ha D, Tayler E, et al. Variation in human genetic polymorphisms, their association with H. pylori acquisition and gastric cancer in a multi-ethnic country. J Gastroenterol Hepatol 2011;26:1725–32.
73. Gao L, Nieters A, Brenner H. Cell proliferation-related genetic polymorphisms and gastric cancer risk: systematic review and meta-analysis. Eur J Hum Genet 2009;12:1658–67. Search Google Scholar
74. Snaith A, El-Omar E. Helicobacter pylori: host genetics and disease outcomes. Expert Rev Gastroenterol Hepatol 2008;4:577–85. Search Google Scholar
75. Figueiredo C, Machado JC, Pharoah P, et al. Helicobacter pylori and interleukin 1 genotyping: an opportunity to identify high-risk individuals for gastric carcinoma. J Natl Cancer Inst 2002;94:1680–7.
76. Gisbert JP, Pajares JM. Review article: 13C-urea breath test in the diagnosis of Helicobacter pylori infection—a critical review. Aliment Pharmacol Ther 2004;20:1001–17.
77. Gisbert JP, de la MF, Abraira V. Accuracy of monoclonal stool antigen test for the diagnosis of H. pylori infection: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Am J Gastroenterol 2006;101:1921–30.
78. Deguchi R, Matsushima M, Suzuki T, et al. Comparison of a monoclonal with a polyclonal antibody-based enzyme immunoassay stool test in diagnosing Helicobacter pylori infection after eradication therapy. J Gastroenterol 2009;44:713–16.
79. Shimoyama T, Kato C, Kodama M, et al. Applicability of a monoclonal antibody-based stool antigen test to evaluate the results of Helicobacter pylori eradication therapy. Jpn J Infect Dis 2009;62:225–7.
80. Calvet X, Lario S, Ramirez-Lazaro MJ, et al. Accuracy of monoclonal stool tests for determining cure of Helicobacter pylori infection after treatment. Helicobacter 2010;15:201–5.
81. Schwarzer A, Lottspeich C, Russmann H, et al. Evaluation of a novel rapid one-step monoclonal chromatographic immunoassay for detection of Helicobacter pylori in stool from children. Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis 2007;26:475–80.
82. Feldman RA, Deeks JJ, Evans SJ. Multi-laboratory comparison of eight commercially available Helicobacter pylori serology kits. Helicobacter pylori Serology Study Group. Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis 1995;14:428–33.
83. Fauchere RA, Charlier-Bret N, Courillon-Mallet A, et al. Evaluation comparative de 29 trousses commercialises pour le diagnostic serologique de l'infection par Helicobacter pylori: etude multicentrique du Groupe d'etude Francais des Helicobacters (GEFH). Feuillet de Biologie 2011;298:25–32. Search Google Scholar
84. Ekstrom AM, Held M, Hansson LE, et al. Helicobacter pylori in gastric cancer established by CagA immunoblot as a marker of past infection. Gastroenterology 2001;121:784–91.
85. Lehours P, Ruskone-Fourmestraux A, Lavergne A, et al. Which test to use to detect Helicobacter pylori infection in patients with low-grade gastric mucosa-associated lymphoid tissue lymphoma? Am J Gastroenterol 2003;98:291–5.
86. Kokkola A, Rautelin H, Puolakkainen P, et al. Positive result by serology indicates active Helicobacter pylori infection in patients with atrophic gastritis. J Clin Microbiol 1998;36:1808–10.
87. Miki K, Ichinose M, Ishikawa KB, et al. Clinical application of serum pepsinogen I and II levels for mass screening to detect gastric cancer. Jpn J Cancer Res 1993;84:1086–90.
88. Levine A, Shevah O, Shabat-Sehayek V, et al. Masking of 13C urea breath test by proton pump inhibitors is dependent on type of medication: comparison between omeprazole, pantoprazole, lansoprazole and esomeprazole. Aliment Pharmacol Ther 2004;20:117–22.
89. Ozturk E, Yesilova Z, Ilgan S, et al. Performance of acidified 14C-urea capsule breath test during pantoprazole and ranitidine treatment. J Gastroenterol Hepatol 2009;24:1248–51.
90. Erzin Y, Altun S, Dobrucali A, et al. Evaluation of two enzyme immunoassays for detecting Helicobacter pylori in stool specimens of dyspeptic patients after eradication therapy. J Med Microbiol 2005;54:863–6.
91. Asfeldt AM, Lochen ML, Straume B, et al. Accuracy of a monoclonal antibody-based stool antigen test in the diagnosis of Helicobacter pylori infection. Scand J Gastroenterol 2004;39:1073–7.
92. Graham DY, Opekun AR, Hammoud F, et al. Studies regarding the mechanism of false negative urea breath tests with proton pump inhibitors. Am J Gastroenterol 2003;98:1005–9.
93. Shirin H, Levine A, Shevah O, et al. Eradication of Helicobacter pylori can be accurately confirmed 14 days after termination of triple therapy using a high-dose citric acid-based 13C urea breath test. Digestion 2005;71:208–12.
94. Gisbert JP, Pajares JM. 13C-urea breath test in the management of Helicobacter pylori infection. Dig Liver Dis 2005;37:899–906.
95. Graham DY, Opekun AR, Jogi M, et al. False negative urea breath tests with H2-receptor antagonists: interactions between Helicobacter pylori density and pH. Helicobacter 2004;9:17–27.
96. Fischbach L, Evans EL. Meta-analysis: the effect of antibiotic resistance status on the efficacy of triple and quadruple first-line therapies for Helicobacter pylori. Aliment Pharmacol Ther 2007;26:343–57.
97. Megraud F. Helicobacter pylori and antibiotic resistance. Gut 2007;56:1502.
98. Wenzhen Y, Yumin L, Quanlin G, et al. Is antimicrobial susceptibility testing necessary before first-line treatment for Helicobacter pylori infection? Meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials. Intern Med 2010;49:1103–9.
99. Oleastro M, Menard A, Santos A, et al. Real-time PCR assay for rapid and accurate detection of point mutations conferring resistance to clarithromycin in Helicobacter pylori. J Clin Microbiol 2003;41:397–402.
100. Cambau E, Allerheiligen V, Coulon C, et al. Evaluation of a new test, genotype HelicoDR, for molecular detection of antibiotic resistance in Helicobacter pylori. J Clin Microbiol 2009;47:3600–7.
101. Glocker E, Kist M. Rapid detection of point mutations in the gyrA gene of Helicobacter pylori conferring resistance to ciprofloxacin by a fluorescence resonance energy transfer-based real-time PCR approach. J Clin Microbiol 2004;42:2241–6.
102. Woo HY, Park DI, Park H, et al. Dual-priming oligonucleotide-based multiplex PCR for the detection of Helicobacter pylori and determination of clarithromycin resistance with gastric biopsy specimens. Helicobacter 2009;14:22–8.
103. Vecsei A, Innerhofer A, Binder C, et al. Stool polymerase chain reaction for Helicobacter pylori detection and clarithromycin susceptibility testing in children. Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol 2010;8:309–12.
104. Kawai T, Yamagishi T, Yagi K, et al. Tailored eradication therapy based on fecal Helicobacter pylori clarithromycin sensitivities. J Gastroenterol Hepatol 2008;23(Suppl 2):S171–4.
105. De Francesco V, Zullo A, Ierardi E, et al. Phenotypic and genotypic Helicobacter pylori clarithromycin resistance and therapeutic outcome: benefits and limits. J Antimicrob Chemother 2010;65:327–32.
106. Megraud F, Lehours P. Helicobacter pylori detection and antimicrobial susceptibility testing. Clin Microbiol Rev 2007;20:280–322.
107. Glupczynski Y, Broutet N, Cantagrel A, et al. Comparison of the E test and agar dilution method for antimicrobial suceptibility testing of Helicobacter pylori. Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis 2002;21:549–52.
108. Gatta L, Vakil N, Leandro G, et al. Sequential therapy or triple therapy for Helicobacter pylori infection: systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials in adults and children. Am J Gastroenterol 2009;104:3069–79.
109. Graham DY, Fischbach L. Helicobacter pylori treatment in the era of increasing antibiotic resistance. Gut 2010;59:1143–53.
110. Gisbert JP, Calvet X, O'Connor A, et al. Sequential therapy for Helicobacter pylori eradication: a critical review. J Clin Gastroenterol 2010;44:313–25.
111. Vaira D, Zullo A, Vakil N, et al. Sequential therapy versus standard triple-drug therapy for Helicobacter pylori eradication: a randomized trial. Ann Intern Med 2007;146:556–63.
112. Essa AS, Kramer JR, Graham DY, et al. Meta-analysis: four-drug, three-antibiotic, non-bismuth-containing “concomitant therapy” versus triple therapy for Helicobacter pylori eradication. Helicobacter 2009;14:109–18.
113. Gisbert JP, Calvet X. Review article: non-bismuth quadruple (concomitant) therapy for eradication of Helicobater pylori. Aliment Pharmacol Ther 2011;34:604–17.
114. Laine L, Hunt R, El-Zimaity H, et al. Bismuth-based quadruple therapy using a single capsule of bismuth biskalcitrate, metronidazoleand tetracycline given with omeprazole versus omeprazole, amoxicillinand clarithromycin for eradication of Helicobacter pylori in duodenal ulcer patients: a prospective, randomized, multicenter, North American trial. Am J Gastroenterol 2003;98:562–7.
115. O'Morain C, Borody T, Farley A, et al. Efficacy and safety of single-triple capsules of bismuth biskalcitrate, metronidazole and tetracycline, given with omeprazole, for the eradication of Helicobacter pylori: an international multicentre study. Aliment Pharmacol Ther 2003;17:415–20.
116. Malfertheiner P, Bazzoli F, Delchier JC, et al. Helicobacter pylori eradication with a capsule containing bismuth subcitrate potassium, metronidazoleand tetracycline given with omeprazole versus clarithromycin-based triple therapy: a randomised, open-label, non-inferiority, phase 3 trial. Lancet 2011;377:905–13.
117. Glupczynski Y, Megraud F, Lopez-Brea M, et al. European multicentre survey of in vitro antimicrobial resistance in Helicobacter pylori. Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis 2001;20:820–3.
118. Megraud F, Coenen S, Versporten A, et al. Surveillance of Helicobacter pylori resistance to antibiotics in Europe 2008-2009. (in press). Search Google Scholar
119. EMEA. Note for guidance on evaluation of medicinal products indicated for treatment of bacterial infections. European Medicines Evaluation Agency; London, 2004.
120. Vallve M, Vergara M, Gisbert JP, et al. Single vs. double dose of a proton pump inhibitor in triple therapy for Helicobacter pylori eradication: a meta-analysis. Aliment Pharmacol Ther 2002;16:1149–56.
121. Padol S, Yuan Y, Thabane M, et al. The effect of CYP2C19 polymorphisms on H. pylori eradication rate in dual and triple first-line PPI therapies: a meta-analysis. Am J Gastroenterol 2006;101:1467–75.
122. Furuta T, Sugimoto M, Shirai N. Effect of MDR1 C3435T polymorphism on cure rates of Helicobacter pylori infection by triple therapy with lansoprazole, amoxicillin and clarithromycin in relation to CYP 2C19 genotypes and 23S rRNA genotypes of H. pylori. Aliment Pharmacol Ther 2007;26:693–703.
123. Villoria A. Acid-related diseases: are higher doses of proton pump inhibitors more effective in the treatment of Helicobacter pylori infection? Gastroenterol Hepatol 2008;31:546–7.
124. Calvet X, Garcia N, Lopez T, et al. A meta-analysis of short versus long therapy with a proton pump inhibitor, clarithromycin and either metronidazole or amoxycillin for treating Helicobacter pylori infection. Aliment Pharmacol Ther 2000;14:603–9.
125. Ford A, Moayyedi P. How can the current strategies for Helicobacter pylori eradication therapy be improved? Can J Gastroenterol 2003;17(Suppl B):36B–40B.
126. Fuccio L, Minardi ME, Zagari RM, et al. Meta-analysis: duration of first-line proton-pump inhibitor based triple therapy for Helicobacter pylori eradication. Ann Intern Med 2007;147:553–62.
127. Haydee B, Salvana A, Ang ELR, et al. Duration of proton-pump inhibitor-based triple therapy for Helicobacter pylori eradication: a meta-analysis. Gastroenterology;138,5,suppl. 1:S-340. Search Google Scholar
128. Gisbert JP, Gonzalez L, Calvet X, et al. Proton pump inhibitor, clarithromycin and either amoxycillin or nitroimidazole: a meta-analysis of eradication of Helicobacter pylori. Aliment Pharmacol Ther 2000;14:1319–28.
129. Zou J, Dong J, Yu X. Meta-analysis: Lactobacillus containing quadruple therapy versus standard triple first-line therapy for Helicobacter pylori eradication. Helicobacter 2009;14:97–107.
130. Sachdeva A, Nagpal J. Meta-analysis: efficacy of bovine lactoferrin in Helicobacter pylori eradication. Aliment Pharmacol Ther 2009;29:720–30.
131. Tong JL, Ran ZH, Shen J, et al. Meta-analysis: the effect of supplementation with probiotics on eradication rates and adverse events during Helicobacter pylori eradication therapy. Aliment Pharmacol Ther 2007;25:155–68.
131a. Sachdeva A, Nagpal J. Effect of fermented milk-based probiotic preparations on H. pylori eradication: a systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized-controlled trials. Eur J Gastroenterol Hepatol 2009;1:45–53. Search Google Scholar
132. Szajewska H, Horvath A, Piwowarczyk A. Meta-analysis: the effects of Saccharomyces boulardii supplementation on Helicobacter pylori eradication rates and side effects during treatment. Aliment Pharmacol Ther 2010;32:1069–79.
133. Broutet N, Tchamgoue S, Pereira E, et al. Risk factors for failure of Helicobacter pylori therapy–results of an individual data analysis of 2751 patients. Aliment Pharmacol Ther 2003;17:99–109.
134. Abdullahi M, Annibale B, Capoccia D, et al. The eradication of Helicobacter pylori is affected by body mass index (BMI). Obes Surg 2008;18:1450–4.
135. Suzuki T, Matsuo K, Ito H, et al. Smoking increases the treatment failure for Helicobacter pylori eradication. Am J Med 2006;119:217–24.
136. Rokkas T, Sechopoulos P, Robotis I, et al. Cumulative H. pylori eradication rates in clinical practice by adopting first and second-line regimens proposed by the Maastricht III consensus and a third-line empirical regimen. Am J Gastroenterol 2009;104:21–5.
137. Lee JM, Breslin NP, Hyde DK, et al. Treatment options for Helicobacter pylori infection when proton pump inhibitor-based triple therapy fails in clinical practice. Aliment Pharmacol Ther 1999;13:489–96.
138. Gisbert JP, Gisbert JL, Marcos S, et al. Empirical rescue therapy after Helicobacter pylori treatment failure: a 10-year single-centre study of 500 patients. Aliment Pharmacol Ther 2008;27:346–54.
139. Lee BH, Kim N, Hwang TJ, et al. Bismuth-containing quadruple therapy as second-line treatment for Helicobacter pylori infection: effect of treatment duration and antibiotic resistance on the eradication rate in Korea. Helicobacter 2010;15:38–45.
140. Luther J, Higgins PD, Schoenfeld PS, et al. Empiric quadruple vs. triple therapy for primary treatment of Helicobacter pylori infection: systematic review and meta-analysis of efficacy and tolerability. Am J Gastroenterol 2010;105:65–73.
141. Gisbert JP, Morena F. Systematic review and meta-analysis: levofloxacin-based rescue regimens after Helicobacter pylori treatment failure. Aliment Pharmacol Ther 2006;23:35–44.
142. Saad RJ, Schoenfeld P, Kim HM, et al. Levofloxacin-based triple therapy versus bismuth-based quadruple therapy for persistent Helicobacter pylori infection: a meta-analysis. Am J Gastroenterol 2006;101:488–96.
143. Lamouliatte H, Megraud F, Delchier J, et al. Second-line treatment for failure to eradicate H. pylori: a randomized trial comparing four treatment strategies. Aliment Pharmacol Ther 2003;18:791–7.
144. Cammarota G, Martino A, Pirozza G, et al. High efficacy of 1-week doxycyline- and amoxicillin-based quadruple regimen in a culture-guided, third-line treatment approach for H. pylori infection. Aliment Pharmacol Ther 2004;19:789–95.
145. Van der PD, Katelaris PH. The effectiveness of rifabutin triple therapy for patients with difficult-to-eradicate Helicobacter pylori in clinical practice. Aliment Pharmacol Ther 2007;26:1537–42.
146. Gisbert J, Calvet X. Review article: rifabutin in the treatment of refractory H. pylori infection. Aliment Pharmacol Ther 2012;35:209–21.
147. Ford AC, Malfertheiner P, Giguere M, et al. Adverse events with bismuth salts for Helicobacter pylori eradication: systematic review and meta-analysis. World J Gastroenterol 2008;14:7361–70.
148. Gisbert JP, Gisbert JL, Marcos S, et al. Helicobacter pylori first-line treatment and rescue options in patients allergic to penicillin. Aliment Pharmacol Ther 2005;22:1041–6.
149. Rodriguez-Torres M, Salgado-Mercado R, Rios-Bedoya CF, et al. High eradication rates of Helicobacter pylori infection with first- and second-line combination of esomeprazole, tetracyclin and metronidazole in patients allergic to penicillin. Dig Dis Sci 2005;50:634–9.
150. Gisbert JP, Perez-Aisa A, Castro-Fernandez M, et al. Helicobacter pylori first-line treatment and rescue option containing levofloxacin in patients allergic to penicillin. Dig Liver Dis 2010;42:287–90.
151. Ford AC, Delaney BC, Forman D, et al. Eradication therapy for peptic ulcer disease in Helicobacter pylori positive patients. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2006;(2):CD003840. Search Google Scholar
152. Leodolter A, Kulig M, Brasch H, et al. A meta-analysis comparing eradication, healing and relapse rates in patients with Helicobacter pylori-associated gastric or duodenal ulcer. Aliment Pharmacol Ther 2001;15:1949–58.
153. Marzio L, Cellini L, Angelucci D. Triple therapy for 7 days vs. triple therapy for 7 days plus omeprazole for 21 days in treatment of active duodenal ulcer with Helicobacter pylori infection. A double blind placebo controlled trial. Dig Liver Dis 2003;35:20–3.
154. Gisbert JP, Pajares JM. Systematic review and meta-analysis: is 1-week proton pump inhibitor-based triple therapy sufficient to heal peptic ulcer? Aliment Pharmacol Ther 2005;21:795–804.
155. Higuchi K, Fujiwara Y, Tominaga K, et al. Is eradication sufficient to heal gastric ulcers in patients infected with Helicobacter pylori? A randomized, controlled, prospective study. Aliment Pharmacol Ther 2003;17:111–17.
156. van Zanten SV, van der Knoop B. Gastric ulcer treatment: cure of Helicobacter pylori infection without subsequent acid-suppressive therapy: is it effective? Eur J Gastroenterol Hepatol 2008;20:489–91.
157. Arkkila PE, Seppala K, Kosunen TU, et al. Helicobacter pylori eradication as the sole treatment for gastric and duodenal ulcers. Eur J Gastroenterol Hepatol 2005;17:93–101.
158. Malfertheiner P, Kirchner T, Kist M, et al. Helicobacter pylori eradication and gastric ulcer healing–comparison of three pantoprazole-based triple therapies. Aliment Pharmacol Ther 2003;17:1125–35.
159. Gisbert JP, Khorrami S, Carballo F, et al. H. pylori eradication therapy vs. antisecretory non-eradication therapy (with or without long-term maintenance antisecretory therapy) for the prevention of recurrent bleeding from peptic ulcer. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2003;(4):CD004062. Search Google Scholar
160. Sung JJ. Marshall and Warren Lecture 2009: peptic ulcer bleeding: an expedition of 20 years from 1989-2009. J Gastroenterol Hepatol 2010;25:229–33.
161. Schilling D, Demel A, Nusse T, et al. Helicobacter pylori infection does not affect the early rebleeding rate in patients with peptic ulcer bleeding after successful endoscopic hemostasis: a prospective single-center trial. Endoscopy 2003;35:393–6.
162. Racz I, Bircher K, Karasz T, et al. The influence of Helicobacter pylori infection on early rebleeding rate in patients with peptic ulcer bleeding. Endoscopy 2004;36:461–2.
163. McAlindon ME, Taylor JS, Ryder SD. The long-term management of patients with bleeding duodenal ulcers. Aliment Pharmacol Ther 1997;11:505–10.
164. Gene E, Sanchez-Delgado J, Calvet X, et al. What is the best strategy for diagnosis and treatment of Helicobacter pylori in the prevention of recurrent peptic ulcer bleeding? A cost-effectiveness analysis. Value Health 2009;12:759–62.
165. van Leerdam ME. Epidemiology of acute upper gastrointestinal bleeding. Best Pract Res Clin Gastroenterol 2008;22:209–24.
166. Gisbert JP, Abraira V. Accuracy of Helicobacter pylori diagnostic tests in patients with bleeding peptic ulcer: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Am J Gastroenterol 2006;101:848–63.
167. Sanchez-Delgado J, Gene E, Suarez D, et al. Has H. pylori prevalence in bleeding peptic ulcer been underestimated? A meta-regression. Am J Gastroenterol 2011;106:398–405.
168. Gisbert JP, Esteban C, Jimenez I, et al. 13C-urea breath test during hospitalization for the diagnosis of Helicobacter pylori infection in peptic ulcer bleeding. Helicobacter 2007;12:231–7.
169. Barkun AN, Bardou M, Kuipers EJ, et al. International consensus recommendations on the management of patients with nonvariceal upper gastrointestinal bleeding. Ann Intern Med 2010;152:101–13.
170. Asaka M, Kato M, Takahashi S, et al. Guidelines for the management of Helicobacter pylori infection in Japan: 2009 revised edition. Helicobacter 2010;15:1–20.
171. Fischbach W, Malfertheiner P, Hoffmann JC, et al. S3-guideline “helicobacter pylori and gastroduodenal ulcer disease” of the German society for digestive and metabolic diseases (DGVS) in cooperation with the German society for hygiene and microbiology, society for pediatric gastroenterology and nutrition e. V., German society for rheumatology, AWMF-registration-no. 021 / 001. Z Gastroenterol 2009;47:1230–63.
172. Fock KM, Talley N, Moayyedi P, et al. Asia-Pacific consensus guidelines on gastric cancer prevention. J Gastroenterol Hepatol 2008;23:351–65.
173. Malfertheiner P, Bornschein J, Selgrad M. Role of Helicobacter pylori infection in gastric cancer pathogenesis: a chance for prevention. J Dig Dis 2010;11:2–11.
174. Polk DB, Peek RM Jr.. Helicobacter pylori: gastric cancer and beyond. Nat Rev Cancer 2010;10:403–14.
175. Brenner H, Arndt V, Stegmaier C, et al. Is Helicobacter pylori infection a necessary condition for noncardia gastric cancer? Am J Epidemiol 2004;159:252–8.
176. Bornschein J, Selgrad M, Warnecke M, et al. H. pylori infection is a key risk factor for proximal gastric cancer. Dig Dis Sci 2010;55:3124–31.
177. Wei J, Nagy TA, Vilgelm A, et al. Regulation of p53 tumor suppressor by Helicobacter pylori in gastric epithelial cells. Gastroenterology 2010;139:1333–43.
178. Tu S, Bhagat G, Cui G, et al. Overexpression of interleukin-1beta induces gastric inflammation and cancer and mobilizes myeloid-derived suppressor cells in mice. Cancer Cell 2008;14:408–19.
179. Houghton J, Stoicov C, Nomura S, et al. Gastric cancer originating from bone marrow-derived cells. Science 2004;306:1568–71.
180. Mera R, Fontham ET, Bravo LE, et al. Long term follow up of patients treated for Helicobacter pylori infection. Gut 2005;54:1536–40.
181. You WC, Brown LM, Zhang L, et al. Randomized double-blind factorial trial of three treatments to reduce the prevalence of precancerous gastric lesions. J Natl Cancer Inst 2006;98:974–83.
182. Take S, Mizuno M, Ishiki K, et al. The effect of eradicating helicobacter pylori on the development of gastric cancer in patients with peptic ulcer disease. Am J Gastroenterol 2005;100:1037–42.
183. Fuccio L, Zagari RM, Eusebi LH, et al. Meta-analysis: can Helicobacter pylori eradication treatment reduce the risk for gastric cancer? Ann Intern Med 2009;151:121–8.
184. Yanaoka K, Oka M, Ohata H, et al. Eradication of Helicobacter pylori prevents cancer development in subjects with mild gastric atrophy identified by serum pepsinogen levels. Int J Cancer 2009;125:2697–703.
185. Nozaki K, Shimizu N, Ikehara Y, et al. Effect of early eradication on Helicobacter pylori-related gastric carcinogenesis in Mongolian gerbils. Cancer Sci 2003;94:235–9.
186. Cai X, Carlson J, Stoicov C, et al. Helicobacter felis eradication restores normal architecture and inhibits gastric cancer progression in C57BL/6 mice. Gastroenterology 2005;128:1937–52.
187. Touati E, Michel V, Thiberge JM, et al. Chronic Helicobacter pylori infections induce gastric mutations in mice. Gastroenterology 2003;124:1408–19.
188. Touati E, Michel V, Thiberge JM, et al. Deficiency in OGG1 protects against inflammation and mutagenic effects associated with H. pylori infection in mouse. Helicobacter 2006;11:494–505.
189. Sheh A, Lee CW, Masumura K, et al. Mutagenic potency of Helicobacter pylori in the gastric mucosa of mice is determined by sex and duration of infection. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 2010;107:15217–22.
190. Machado AM, Figueiredo C, Seruca R, et al. Helicobacter pylori infection generates genetic instability in gastric cells. Biochim Biophys Acta 2010;1806:58–65.
191. Machado AM, Figueiredo C, Touati E, et al. Helicobacter pylori infection induces genetic instability of nuclear and mitochondrial DNA in gastric cells. Clin Cancer Res 2009;15:2995–3002.
192. Ohnishi N, Yuasa H, Tanaka S, et al. Transgenic expression of Helicobacter pylori CagA induces gastrointestinal and hematopoietic neoplasms in mouse. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 2008;105:1003–8.
193. Xia Y, Yamaoka Y, Zhu Q, et al. A comprehensive sequence and disease correlation analyses for the C-terminal region of CagA protein of Helicobacter pylori. PLoS One 2009;4:e7736.
194. Jung SW, Sugimoto M, Graham DY, et al. homB status of Helicobacter pylori as a novel marker to distinguish gastric cancer from duodenal ulcer. J Clin Microbiol 2009;47:3241–5.
195. Rhead JL, Letley DP, Mohammadi M, et al. A new Helicobacter pylori vacuolating cytotoxin determinant, the intermediate region, is associated with gastric cancer. Gastroenterology 2007;133:926–36.
196. Basso D, Zambon CF, Letley DP, et al. Clinical relevance of Helicobacter pylori cagA and vacA gene polymorphisms. Gastroenterology 2008;135:91–9.
197. Jang S, Jones KR, Olsen CH, et al. Epidemiological link between gastric disease and polymorphisms in VacA and CagA. J Clin Microbiol 2010;48:559–67.
198. Acosta N, Quiroga A, Delgado P, et al. Helicobacter pylori CagA protein polymorphisms and their lack of association with pathogenesis. World J Gastroenterol 2010;16:3936–43.
199. Yamaoka Y, Kato M, Asaka M. Geographic differences in gastric cancer incidence can be explained by differences between Helicobacter pylori strains. Intern Med 2008;47:1077–83.
200. Brenner H, Bode G, Boeing H. Helicobacter pylori infection among offspring of patients with stomach cancer. Gastroenterology 2000;118:31–5.
201. Hou L, El-Omar EM, Chen J, et al. Polymorphisms in Th1-type cell-mediated response genes and risk of gastric cancer. Carcinogenesis 2007;28:118–23.
202. El-Omar EM, Rabkin CS, Gammon MD, et al. Increased risk of noncardia gastric cancer associated with proinflammatory cytokine gene polymorphisms. Gastroenterology 2003;124:1193–201.
203. Amieva MR, El-Omar EM. Host-bacterial interactions in Helicobacter pylori infection. Gastroenterology 2008;134:306–23.
204. Kamangar F, Cheng C, Abnet CC, et al. Interleukin-1B polymorphisms and gastric cancer risk–a meta-analysis. Cancer Epidemiol Biomark Prev 2006;15:1920–8.
205. Wang P, Xia HH, Zhang JY, et al. Association of interleukin-1 gene polymorphisms with gastric cancer: a meta-analysis. Int J Cancer 2007;120:552–62.
206. Vincenzi B, Patti G, Galluzzo S, et al. Interleukin 1beta-511T gene (IL1beta) polymorphism is correlated with gastric cancer in the Caucasian population: results from a meta-analysis. Oncol Rep 2008;20:1213–20.
207. Santini D, Angeletti S, Ruzzo A, et al. Toll-like receptor 4 Asp299Gly and Thr399Ile polymorphisms in gastric cancer of intestinal and diffuse histotypes. Clin Exp Immunol 2008;154:360–4.
208. Jakszyn P, Bingham S, Pera G, et al. Endogenous versus exogenous exposure to N-nitroso compounds and gastric cancer risk in the European Prospective Investigation into Cancer and Nutrition (EPIC-EURGAST) study. Carcinogenesis 2006;27:1497–501.
209. Takachi R, Inoue M, Shimazu T, et al. Consumption of sodium and salted foods in relation to cancer and cardiovascular disease: the Japan Public Health Center-based Prospective Study. Am J Clin Nutr 2010;91:456–64.
210. Pham TM, Fujino Y, Kikuchi S, et al. Dietary patterns and risk of stomach cancer mortality: the Japan collaborative cohort study. Ann Epidemiol 2010;20:356–63.
211. Bertuccio P, Praud D, Chatenoud L, et al. Dietary glycemic load and gastric cancer risk in Italy. Br J Cancer 2009;100:558–61.
212. Freedman ND, Abnet CC, Leitzmann MF, et al. A prospective study of tobacco, alcohol and the risk of esophageal and gastric cancer subtypes. Am J Epidemiol 2007;165:1424–33.
213. Tsugane S, Sasazuki S, Kobayashi M, et al. Salt and salted food intake and subsequent risk of gastric cancer among middle-aged Japanese men and women. Br J Cancer 2004;90:128–34.
214. Agudo A, Slimani N, Ocke MC, et al. Consumption of vegetables, fruit and other plant foods in the European Prospective Investigation into Cancer and Nutrition (EPIC) cohorts from 10 European countries. Public Health Nutr 2002;5:1179–96.
215. Serafini M, Bellocco R, Wolk A, et al. Total antioxidant potential of fruit and vegetables and risk of gastric cancer. Gastroenterology 2002;123:985–91.
216. Buckland G, Agudo A, Lujan L, et al. Adherence to a Mediterranean diet and risk of gastric adenocarcinoma within the European Prospective Investigation into Cancer and Nutrition (EPIC) cohort study. Am J Clin Nutr 2010;91:381–90.
217. Gonzalez CA, Jakszyn P, Pera G, et al. Meat intake and risk of stomach and esophageal adenocarcinoma within the European Prospective Investigation Into Cancer and Nutrition (EPIC). J Natl Cancer Inst 2006;98:345–54.
219. Yang P, Zhou Y, Chen B, et al. Aspirin use and the risk of gastric cancer: a meta-analysis. Dig Dis Sci 2010;55:1533–9.
220. de Martel C, Franceschi S. Infections and cancer: established associations and new hypotheses. Crit Rev Oncol Hematol 2009;70:183–94.
221. Dixon MF, Genta RM, Yardley JH, et al. Classification and grading of gastritis. The updated Sydney system. International workshop on the Histopathology of gastritis, Houston 1994. Am J Surg Pathol 1996;20:1161–81.
222. Matsuhisa T, Matsukura N, Yamada N. Topography of chronic active gastritis in Helicobacter pylori-positive Asian populations: age-, gender-and endoscopic diagnosis-matched study. J Gastroenterol 2004;39:324–8.
223. Uemura N, Okamoto S, Yamamoto S, et al. Helicobacter pylori infection and the development of gastric cancer. N Engl J Med 2001;345:784–9.
224. Hattori T. Development of adenocarcinomas in the stomach. Cancer 1986;57:1528–34.
225. Byrd JC, Yan P, Sternberg L, et al. Aberrant expression of gland-type gastric mucin in the surface epithelium of Helicobacter pylori-infected patients. Gastroenterology 1997;113:455–64.
226. Stemmermann GN. Intestinal metaplasia of the stomach. A status report. Cancer 1994;74:556–64.
227. Tahara E. Molecular mechanism of stomach carcinogenesis. J Cancer Res Clin Oncol 1993;119:265–72.
228. Namikawa T, Hanazaki K. Mucin phenotype of gastric cancer and clinicopathology of gastric-type differentiated adenocarcinoma. World J Gastroenterol 2010;16:4634–9.
229. Wolf EM, Geigl JB, Svrcek M, et al. Hereditary gastric cancer. Pathologe 2010;31:423–9.
230. Cisco RM, Ford JM, Norton JA. Hereditary diffuse gastric cancer: implications of genetic testing for screening and prophylactic surgery. Cancer 2008;113(7 Suppl):1850–6.
231. Oliveira C, Senz J, Kaurah P, et al. Germline CDH1 deletions in hereditary diffuse gastric cancer families. Hum Mol Genet 2009;18:1545–55.
232. Yatsuya H, Toyoshima H, Tamakoshi A, et al. Individual and joint impact of family history and Helicobacter pylori infection on the risk of stomach cancer: a nested case-control study. Br J Cancer 2004;91:929–34.
233. Malfertheiner P. The intriguing relationship of H. pylori infection and acid secretion in peptic ulcer disease and gastric cancer. Dig Dis 2011;29:459–64.
234. Forsythe SJ, Dolby JM, Webster AD, et al. Nitrate- and nitrite-reducing bacteria in the achlorhydric stomach. J Med Microbiol 1988;25:253–9.
235. Ruddell WS, Bone ES, Hill MJ, et al. Gastric-juice nitrite. A risk factor for cancer in the hypochlorhydric stomach? Lancet 1976;2:1037–9.
236. Ruddell WS, Axon AT, Findlay JM, et al. Effect of cimetidine on the gastric bacterial flora. Lancet 1980;1:672–4.
237. Sharma BK, Santana IA, Wood EC, et al. Intragastric bacterial activity and nitrosation before, duringand after treatment with omeprazole. Br Med J (Clin Res Ed) 1984;289:717–19.
238. Stockbrugger RW, Cotton PB, Eugenides N, et al. Intragastric nitrites, nitrosaminesand bacterial overgrowth during cimetidine treatment. Gut 1982;23:1048–54.
239. Thorens J, Froehlich F, Schwizer W, et al. Bacterial overgrowth during treatment with omeprazole compared with cimetidine: a prospective randomised double blind study. Gut 1996;39:54–9.
240. Reed PI, Smith PL, Haines K, et al. Effect of cimetidine on gastric juice N-nitrosamine concentration. Lancet 1981;2:553–6.
241. Sanduleanu S, Jonkers D, De BA, et al. Double gastric infection with Helicobacter pylori and non-Helicobacter pylori bacteria during acid-suppressive therapy: increase of pro-inflammatory cytokines and development of atrophic gastritis. Aliment Pharmacol Ther 2001;15:1163–75.
242. Sanduleanu S, Jonkers D, De BA, et al. Non-Helicobacter pylori bacterial flora during acid-suppressive therapy: differential findings in gastric juice and gastric mucosa. Aliment Pharmacol Ther 2001;15:379–88.
243. Mirvish SS. Effects of vitamins C and E on N-nitroso compound formation, carcinogenesisand cancer. Cancer 1986;58(8 Suppl):1842–50.
244. Guttenplan JB. Inhibition by L-ascorbate of bacterial mutagenesis induced by two N-nitroso compounds. Nature 1977;268:368–70.
245. Sobala GM, Pignatelli B, Schorah CJ, et al. Levels of nitrite, nitrate, N-nitroso compounds, ascorbic acid and total bile acids in gastric juice of patients with and without precancerous conditions of the stomach. Carcinogenesis 1991;12:193–8.
246. Sobala GM, Schorah CJ, Sanderson M, et al. Ascorbic acid in the human stomach. Gastroenterology 1989;97:357–63.
247. Sobala GM, Schorah CJ, Shires S, et al. Effect of eradication of Helicobacter pylori on gastric juice ascorbic acid concentrations. Gut 1993;34:1038–41.
248. O'Connor HJ, Schorah CJ, Habibzedah N, et al. Vitamin C in the human stomach: relation to gastric pH, gastroduodenal diseaseand possible sources. Gut 1989;30:436–42.
249. Waring AJ, Drake IM, Schorah CJ, et al. Ascorbic acid and total vitamin C concentrations in plasma, gastric juiceand gastrointestinal mucosa: effects of gastritis and oral supplementation. Gut 1996;38:171–6.
250. Tulassay Z, Stolte M, Engstrand L, et al. Twelve-month endoscopic and histological analysis following proton-pump inhibitor-based triple therapy in Helicobacter pylori-positive patients with gastric ulcers. Scand J Gastroenterol 2010;45:1048–58.
251. Rokkas T, Pistiolas D, Sechopoulos P, et al. The long-term impact of Helicobacter pylori eradication on gastric histology: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Helicobacter 2007;12(Suppl 2):32–8.
252. De Vries AC, Kuipers EJ. Review article: helicobacter pylori eradication for the prevention of gastric cancer. Aliment Pharmacol Ther 2007;26(Suppl 2):25–35.
253. van der Hulst RW, van der EA, Dekker FW, et al. Effect of Helicobacter pylori eradication on gastritis in relation to cagA: a prospective 1-year follow-up study. Gastroenterology 1997;113:25–30.
254. Tepes B, Kavcic B, Zaletel LK, et al. Two- to four-year histological follow-up of gastric mucosa after Helicobacter pylori eradication. J Pathol 1999;188:24–9.
255. Sung JJ, Lin SR, Ching JY, et al. Atrophy and intestinal metaplasia one year after cure of H. pylori infection: a prospective, randomized study. Gastroenterology 2000;119:7–14.
256. Kim N, Lim SH, Lee KH, et al. Long-term effects of Helicobacter pylori eradication on intestinal metaplasia in patients with duodenal and benign gastric ulcers. Dig Dis Sci 2000;45:1754–62.
257. Ohkusa T, Fujiki K, Takashimizu I, et al. Improvement in atrophic gastritis and intestinal metaplasia in patients in whom Helicobacter pylori was eradicated. Ann Intern Med 2001;134:380–6.
258. Ito M, Haruma K, Kamada T, et al. Helicobacter pylori eradication therapy improves atrophic gastritis and intestinal metaplasia: a 5-year prospective study of patients with atrophic gastritis. Aliment Pharmacol Ther 2002;16:1449–56.
259. Annibale B, Di GE, Caruana P, et al. The long-term effects of cure of Helicobacter pylori infection on patients with atrophic body gastritis. Aliment Pharmacol Ther 2002;16:1723–31.
260. Yamada T, Miwa H, Fujino T, et al. Improvement of gastric atrophy after Helicobacter pylori eradication therapy. J Clin Gastroenterol 2003;36:405–10.
261. Zhou L, Sung JJ, Lin S, et al. A five-year follow-up study on the pathological changes of gastric mucosa after H. pylori eradication. Chin Med J (Engl) 2003;116:11–14.
262. Ley C, Mohar A, Guarner J, et al. Helicobacter pylori eradication and gastric preneoplastic conditions: a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial. Cancer Epidemiol Biomark Prev 2004;13:4–10.
263. Salih BA, Abasiyanik MF, Saribasak H, et al. A follow-up study on the effect of Helicobacter pylori eradication on the severity of gastric histology. Dig Dis Sci 2005;50:1517–22.
264. Lahner E, Bordi C, Cattaruzza MS, et al. Long-term follow-up in atrophic body gastritis patients: atrophy and intestinal metaplasia are persistent lesions irrespective of Helicobacter pylori infection. Aliment Pharmacol Ther 2005;22:471–81.
265. Arkkila PE, Seppala K, Farkkila MA, et al. Helicobacter pylori eradication in the healing of atrophic gastritis: a one-year prospective study. Scand J Gastroenterol 2006;41:782–90.
266. Toyokawa T, Suwaki K, Miyake Y, et al. Eradication of Helicobacter pylori infection improved gastric mucosal atrophy and prevented progression of intestinal metaplasia, especially in the elderly population: a long-term prospective cohort study. J Gastroenterol Hepatol 2010;25:544–7.
267. Fukase K, Kato M, Kikuchi S, et al. Effect of eradication of Helicobacter pylori on incidence of metachronous gastric carcinoma after endoscopic resection of early gastric cancer: an open-label, randomised controlled trial. Lancet 2008;372:392–7.
268. Kosunen TU, Pukkala E, Sarna S, et al. Gastric cancers in Finnish patients after cure of Helicobacter pylori infection: a cohort study. Int J Cancer 2011;128:433–9.
269. Ogura K, Hirata Y, Yanai A, et al. The effect of Helicobacter pylori eradication on reducing the incidence of gastric cancer. J Clin Gastroenterol 2008;42:279–83.
270. Takenaka R, Okada H, Kato J, et al. Helicobacter pylori eradication reduced the incidence of gastric cancer, especially of the intestinal type. Aliment Pharmacol Ther 2007;25:805–12.
271. Uemura N, Mukai T, Okamoto S, et al. Effect of Helicobacter pylori eradication on subsequent development of cancer after endoscopic resection of early gastric cancer. Cancer Epidemiol Biomark Prev 1997;6:639–42. [Abstract]
272. Wu CY, Kuo KN, Wu MS, et al. Early Helicobacter pylori eradication decreases risk of gastric cancer in patients with peptic ulcer disease. Gastroenterology 2009;137:1641–8.
273. Ito M, Takata S, Tatsugami M, et al. Clinical prevention of gastric cancer by Helicobacter pylori eradication therapy: a systematic review. J Gastroenterol 2009;44:365–71.
274. De Vries AC, Kuipers EJ, Rauws EA. Helicobacter pylori eradication and gastric cancer: when is the horse out of the barn? Am J Gastroenterol 2009;104:1342–5.
275. Selgrad M, Bornschein J, Malfertheiner P. Guidelines for treatment of helicobacter pylori in the East and West. Expert Rev Anti Infect Ther 2011;9:581–8.
276. Yeh JM, Kuntz KM, Ezzati M, et al. Exploring the cost-effectiveness of Helicobacter pylori screening to prevent gastric cancer in China in anticipation of clinical trial results. Int J Cancer 2009;124:157–66.
277. Shin DW, Yun YH, Choi IJ, et al. Cost-effectiveness of eradication of Helicobacter pylori in gastric cancer survivors after endoscopic resection of early gastric cancer. Helicobacter 2009;14:536–44.
278. Lee YC, Lin JT, Wu HM, et al. Cost-effectiveness analysis between primary and secondary preventive strategies for gastric cancer. Cancer Epidemiol Biomark Prev 2007;16:875–85.
279. Malfertheiner P, Chan FK, McColl KE. Peptic ulcer disease. Lancet 2009;374:1449–61.
280. Bhatt DL, Scheiman J, Abraham NS, et al. ACCF/ACG/AHA 2008 expert consensus document on reducing the gastrointestinal risks of antiplatelet therapy and NSAID use. Am J Gastroenterol 2008;103:2890–907.
281. Targownik LE, Metge CJ, Leung S. Underutilization of gastroprotective strategies in aspirin users at increased risk of upper gastrointestinal complications. Aliment Pharmacol Ther 2008;28:88–96.
282. Ford AC, Forman D, Bailey AG, et al. A community screening program for Helicobacter pylori saves money: 10-year follow-up of a randomized controlled trial. Gastroenterology 2005;129:1910–17.
283. Hansen JM, Wildner-Christensen M, Hallas J, et al. Effect of a community screening for Helicobacter pylori: a 5-Yr follow-up study. Am J Gastroenterol 2008;103:1106–13.
284. van Leerdam ME, Vreeburg EM, Rauws EA, et al. Acute upper GI bleeding: did anything change? Time trend analysis of incidence and outcome of acute upper GI bleeding between 1993/1994 and 2000. Am J Gastroenterol 2003;98:1494–9.
285. Gonzalez CA, Lopez-Carrillo L. Helicobacter pylori, nutrition and smoking interactions: their impact in gastric carcinogenesis. Scand J Gastroenterol 2010;45:6–14.
286. Miki K, Morita M, Sasajima M, et al. Usefulness of gastric cancer screening using the serum pepsinogen test method. Am J Gastroenterol 2003;98:735–9.
287. Miki K, Urita Y. Using serum pepsinogens wisely in a clinical practice. J Dig Dis 2007;8:8–14.
288. Miki K. Gastric cancer screening using the serum pepsinogen test method. Gastric Cancer 2006;9:245–53.
289. De Vries AC, Kuipers EJ. Epidemiology of premalignant gastric lesions: implications for the development of screening and surveillance strategies. Helicobacter 2007;12(Suppl 2):22–31.
290. Rugge M, Kim JG, Mahachai V, et al. OLGA gastritis staging in young adults and country-specific gastric cancer risk. Int J Surg Pathol 2008;16:150–4.
291. Rugge M, de BM, Pennelli G, et al. OLGA can guard the barn. Am J Gastroenterol 2009;104:3099–2.
292. Rugge M, de BM, Pennelli G, et al. Gastritis OLGA-staging and gastric cancer risk: a twelve-year clinico-pathological follow-up study. Aliment Pharmacol Ther 2010;31:1104–11.
293. Capelle LG, De Vries AC, Haringsma J, et al. The staging of gastritis with the OLGA system by using intestinal metaplasia as an accurate alternative for atrophic gastritis. Gastrointest Endosc 2010;71:1150–8.
294. Rokkas T, Sechopoulos P, Pistiolas D, et al. Helicobacter pylori infection and gastric histology in first-degree relatives of gastric cancer patients: a meta-analysis. Eur J Gastroenterol Hepatol 2010;22:1128–33.
295. Chen MJ, Wu DC, Ko YC, et al. Personal history and family history as a predictor of gastric cardiac adenocarcinoma risk: a case-control study in Taiwan. Am J Gastroenterol 2004;99:1250–7.
296. Foschi R, Lucenteforte E, Bosetti C, et al. Family history of cancer and stomach cancer risk. Int J Cancer 2008;123:1429–32.
297. Gao Y, Hu N, Han X, et al. Family history of cancer and risk for esophageal and gastric cancer in Shanxi, China. BMC Cancer 2009;9:269.
298. Kondo T, Toyoshima H, Tsuzuki Y, et al. Aggregation of stomach cancer history in parents and offspring in comparison with other sites. Int J Epidemiol 2003;32:579–83.
299. Munoz N, Plummer M, Vivas J, et al. A case-control study of gastric cancer in Venezuela. Int J Cancer 2001;93:417–23.
300. Shin CM, Kim N, Yang HJ, et al. Stomach cancer risk in gastric cancer relatives: interaction between Helicobacter pylori infection and family history of gastric cancer for the risk of stomach cancer. J Clin Gastroenterol 2010;44:e34–9.
301. Blair V, Martin I, Shaw D, et al. Hereditary diffuse gastric cancer: diagnosis and management. Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol 2006;4:262–75.
302. Chun YS, Lindor NM, Smyrk TC, et al. Germline E-cadherin gene mutations: is prophylactic total gastrectomy indicated? Cancer 2001;92:181–7.
303. Cisco RM, Norton JA. Hereditary diffuse gastric cancer: surgery, surveillance and unanswered questions. Future Oncol 2008;4:553–9.
304. Fitzgerald RC, Caldas C. Clinical implications of E-cadherin associated hereditary diffuse gastric cancer. Gut 2004;53:775–8.
305. Lynch HT, Silva E, Wirtzfeld D, et al. Hereditary diffuse gastric cancer: prophylactic surgical oncology implications. Surg Clin North Am 2008;88:759–78. vi–vii.
306. Rogers WM, Dobo E, Norton JA, et al. Risk-reducing total gastrectomy for germline mutations in E-cadherin (CDH1): pathologic findings with clinical implications. Am J Surg Pathol 2008;32:799–809.
307. Suriano G, Yew S, Ferreira P, et al. Characterization of a recurrent germ line mutation of the E-cadherin gene: implications for genetic testing and clinical management. Clin Cancer Res 2005;11:5401–9.
308. Sinning C, Schaefer N, Standop J, et al. Gastric stump carcinoma - epidemiology and current concepts in pathogenesis and treatment. Eur J Surg Oncol 2007;33:133–9.
309. Stalnikowicz R, Benbassat J. Risk of gastric cancer after gastric surgery for benign disorders. Arch Intern Med 1990;150:2022–6.
310. Tersmette AC, Offerhaus GJ, Tersmette KW, et al. Meta-analysis of the risk of gastric stump cancer: detection of high risk patient subsets for stomach cancer after remote partial gastrectomy for benign conditions. Cancer Res 1990;50:6486–9.
311. Tersmette AC, Giardiello FM, Tytgat GN, et al. Carcinogenesis after remote peptic ulcer surgery: the long-term prognosis of partial gastrectomy. Scand J Gastroenterol Suppl 1995;212:96–9.
312. Poulsen AH, Christensen S, McLaughlin JK, et al. Proton pump inhibitors and risk of gastric cancer: a population-based cohort study. Br J Cancer 2009;100:1503–7.
313. Chung HW, Noh SH, Lim JB. Analysis of demographic characteristics in 3242 young age gastric cancer patients in Korea. World J Gastroenterol 2010;16:256–63.
314. Sjodahl K, Lu Y, Nilsen TI, et al. Smoking and alcohol drinking in relation to risk of gastric cancer: a population-based, prospective cohort study. Int J Cancer 2007;120:128–32.
315. Azevedo NF, Huntington J, Goodman KJ. The epidemiology of Helicobacter pylori and public health implications. Helicobacter 2009;14(Suppl 1):1–7.
316. Miendje Deyi VY, Vanderpas J, Bontems P, et al. Marching cohort of Helicobacter pylori infection over two decades (1988-2007): combined effects of secular trend and population migration. Epidemiol Infect 2011;139:572–80.
317. Kato M, Asaka M. Recent knowledge of the relationship between Helicobacter pylori and gastric cancer and recent progress of gastroendoscopic diagnosis and treatment for gastric cancer. Jpn J Clin Oncol 2010;40:828–37.
318. Niv Y, Hazazi R. Helicobacter pylori recurrence in developed and developing countries: meta-analysis of 13C-urea breath test follow-up after eradication. Helicobacter 2008;13:56–61.
319. De Francesco V, Margiotta M, Zullo A, et al. Claritromycin resistance and Helicobacter pylori genotypes in Italy. J Microbiol 2006;44:660–4.
320. Agudo S, Perez-Perez G, Alarcon T, et al. High prevalence of clarithromycin-resistant Helicobacter pylori strains and risk factors associated with resistance in Madrid, Spain. J Clin Microbiol 2010;48:3703–7.
321. Ford AC, Axon AT. Epidemiology of Helicobacter pylori infection and public health implications. Helicobacter 2010;15(Suppl 1):1–6.
322. Rupnow MF, Chang AH, Shachter RD, et al. Cost-effectiveness of a potential prophylactic Helicobacter pylori vaccine in the United States. J Infect Dis 2009;200:1311–17.
323. Del Giudice G, Malfertheiner P, Rappuoli R. Development of vaccines against Helicobacter pylori. Expert Rev Vaccines 2009;8:1037–49.
324. Aebischer T, Bumann D, Epple HJ, et al. Correlation of T cell response and bacterial clearance in human volunteers challenged with Helicobacter pylori revealed by randomised controlled vaccination with Ty21a-based Salmonella vaccines. Gut 2008;57:1065–72.
325. McColl KE. Clinical practice. Helicobacter pylori infection. N Engl J Med 2010;362:1597–604.